What is Data Science?
- Relatively new field intersecting CS, Statistics and Business
- Determining consumer trends, business opportunities, and user behavior
- Drawing valuable insight from data - data is "unbiased"
- Some areas that overlap:
- Computational Statistics
- Big Data and Data Mining
- Machine Learning
How is Data Science used?
A/B testing - web applications with different features
Consumer recommendations - Amazon, Netflix, etc.
Revenue opportunities - ad targeting, investor/stock forecasting
Technologies to "do" Data Science
- Programming Languages - Python, R (statistical computing)
- Big Data Frameworks - Hadoop, Spark, Pig
- Concepts - Map-Reduce, Aggregation, Regression, Distributions
- Visualization Frameworks - Matplotlib, D3, Processing
- What would you like to build?
- What features? Sketches.
- What technologies do you think you'll need?
- What is your plan for developing?
- Your Own Personal Website
- Data Analysis on a Dataset
- Web or Mobile App
- WCS Display for our TV
- Chrome Extension